Global Goa Party
(This is the original announcement for the Global Goa Party. If you’re looking for the mixes, check here.)
Hello, fellow Ranchers! The time has come for another mix event at the Goat Ranch, and I hope this one will be as successful as the Hunab-ku Magik Mix Contest. This event is collaborative instead of competitive, so let’s all get together for some peace, love, and kickass Goa trance.
Global Goa Party?
The idea for the Global Goa Party is to create the soundtrack for a full night (and morning) of old-school Goa trance by ten DJs from all over the world.
The year is 1999. Each DJ will create and submit a mix appropriate for the year and their time slot, and at the end of the submission window (May 1 through July 4th, 2010) all of the mixes will be posted here at the Goat Ranch. In addition, I’ll stitch them together to create a single-file download for uninterrupted listening of the whole party. Then, simply invite some friends over on a Saturday night, hang some deco in your living room, fire up the black lights, press play at around 8PM and enjoy the party!
How to participate
- Pick your desired slot from the Set Times below and send me an email requesting your time slot.
- Time slots are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- I’ll update the list with assigned DJs as the sign-ups arrive.
- Read the Global Goa Party Set Guidelines below
- Record a killer old-school Goa set and send a link to marsh [at] goatranch [dot] com – it’s as simple as that!
20:00:00 - 21:30:00 (8PM - 9:30PM) DJ Draeke 21:30:00 - 23:00:00 (9:30PM - 11PM) DJ Nonsense 23:00:00 - 00:30:00 (11PM - 12:30AM) Kundabuffer 00:30:00 - 02:00:00 (12:30AM - 2AM) DJ Basilisk 02:00:00 - 03:30:00 (2AM - 3:30AM) Infra 03:30:00 - 05:00:00 (3:30AM - 5AM) Spork 05:00:00 - 06:30:00 (5AM - 6:30AM) Jim Appleton 06:30:00 - 08:00:00 (6:30AM - 8AM) Marsh 08:00:00 - 09:30:00 (8AM - 9:30AM) The Tree Tribe 09:30:00 - 11:00:00 (9:30AM - 11AM) Boork
I’m not out to stifle anyone’s creativity, but there are some “rules” that come along with participating in the Global Goa Party.
- Deadline for mix submissions: July 4th, 2010
- The year of this fictitious party is 1999, thus you should include tracks appropriate for that time period. You are a l33t DJ, however, so you likely have some DATs with tracks released in 2000 that you could include in your set. 😉
- Please create a set appropriate for your selected time slot. If sign up for the 2AM-3:30AM slot, you’d better be playing some insane, twisted shit. Conversely, if you pick the 8PM-9:30PM slot, you probably should be thinking of easing people into the night with something fairly mellow. Common sense, I know, but had to say it.
- Include a tracklist with your set. Track lists will be posted a couple of weeks after the posting of the mixes, sometime after July 4th. You don’t have a track list when your groovin’ at a party, so listen, enjoy the moment, and then come back later for the track lists.
- If you sign up for a time slot, please submit a mix by the deadline. I’d hate to reserve your slot only to hit the deadline without a mix from you.
- If you sign up and find at some point that you won’t be able to make the deadline, let me know so I can open up the slot to another DJ.
That’s it! I’ll update the time slots with DJ names as they arrive in my inbox. Remember, this is not a contest, so have fun with this thing. Let’s party!!!
Are you more graphic artist than DJ? Would you like to create a kickass flyer for the Global Goa Party? We need one badly, as you can see. Whip one up and send it in, I’d love to see what you come up with!
Q & A
Q: Do you specifically want Goa style trance rather than the ‘new’ progressive psy that was emerging at that point?
A: Actually, I probably should have called it the Global Goa & Psytrance Party, but that doesn’t roll off the tongue as smoothly. There were a ton of sub-genres emerging at the time, with killer releases coming out of just about everywhere (often to the chagrin of many the melodic die-hard). This is *your* party, and you guys are the DJs – play anything you like as long as it fits with your time slot.
Don’t feel restricted by the “Goa trance” tag. We had Hux-Flux, Paps and Tripiatrik, Son Kite, and Intact Instinct. The 3DVision sound was showing up and GMS was really rippin’ by now, but then there was MOS and BPC and Bus. You might hear all of these guys at the same party, and as long as the music fit the time slot, it was good.
“You are a l33t DJ, however”
What is a l33t DJ, Mr. Marsh ?
That’d be l33t as in “elite”. Sort of toungue-in-cheek, but I’m suggesting that for the purposes of this fictional event occurring in 1999, you are a member of the DAT mafia and can make a stretch on a track here and there and play something from 2000. Not *every* track, mind you, just a very few if you must include them.
Lovely :). Got a few 2000 gems that i’d love to include.
Pretty sick event, definately EPIC. I really like the 1999 theme. Keep it bumping and thanks for the save as link.
!! I will be sure to get a session on a saterday going with this! Thanks again.